Frank Rudolph Maki




macv1 silverstar purple_heart  









maki1Major Frank Rudolph Maki was born on March 13, 1928 in Rudyard, Michigan to Mr. Victor and Mrs. Lemple Ann Maki. Frank graduated from Rudyard High School before enlisting in the Army in 1946 where he completed his Basic Training at Fort Lee, Virginia. He took part in the Berlin Airlift serving at the Rhein Main Air Base as an Air Ground Liaison NCO. He returned from Germany and spent some time as a civilian before returning to the Army in 1950 where he served with the 7th Infantry Division in Korea as a rifle and weapons squad leader. Sergeant Maki accepted a reserve commission as a Second Lieutenant while serving in the Korean War. He continued to serve in the Regular Army as an NCO, as he was promoted as a reserve officer. Since Korea, Frank served with the 821st Engineer Aviation Battalion at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri then serving with the 820th Engineer Aviation Battalion at Michigan State University as a military science instructor. According to the Battalion History of the Army ROTC Battalion at Eastern Michigan University, "in 1961, he taught ROTC at Eastern Michigan University for four years, where he led the rifle team to the championship and served as an advisor to Arm of Honor Fraternity. During this time, he accepted his promotion to Captain even though he was rated number one on the list to be promoted to Sergeant Major. He then served as a Company Commander at Fort McClellan where his troops would earn four consecutive Best Company awards."

Major Maki began his tour of duty in Quang Tri Province, South Vietnam on May 7, 1971 serving as an Advisor, Advisor Team 3, Headquarters, Military Assistance Command Vietnam (MACV) Advisors, MACV. Captain Maki was killed in action at Fire Support  Base Fuller in Quang Tri Province while coordinating medical aid to wounded soldiers on June 22, 1971 during his third tour in Vietnam. He was then posthumously promoted to Major.

Award of The Silver Star For gallantry in action: Captain Maki distinguished himself by gallantry in action on 20 - 22 June 1971 while serving as Senior Advisor to the 1st Battalion, 2d Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, Army of the Republic of Vietnam at Fire Support Base Fuller in Quang Tri Province. Captain Maki heroically participated in the defenses of Fire Support Base Fuller by accompanying and assisting his Vietnamese counterpart against the North Vietnamese Army thrust. After more than two continuous days of intensive direct and indirect fire and ground attacks, the NVA managed to breech the defenses. Captain Maki then directed many tactical air strikes and aerial rocket artillery against the enemy. During this time he continued to reappraise the tactical situation, adjust supporting fires and coordinate medical aid to the wounded Vietnamese soldiers. Though he had been sixty hours without rest, he continued to assist his counterparts up until the moment he was mortally wounded by an enemy artillery round. His extraordinary example of leadership and valiant courage radiated throughout the Fire Support Base and inspired the Vietnamese to repulse the enemy attack. Captain Maki's conspicuous gallantry in action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Army and reflects great credit upon himself and the military service.

(As written in Major Maki's Award of the Silver Star announcement, by LTC August G. Seifert)

Frank Rudolph Maki is survived by his wife, son, two daughters, his father, two sisters and two brothers. He lived 43 years, 3 months and 9 days. He is resting in Highland Cemetery in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Frank's name is listed on the Vietnam Memorial in Ypsilanti Township under Ypsilanti. His name also appears on the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, DC on Panel 03W Line 086.

The Wall rubbing from John Kinzinger